On Monday I posted about my lack of a muse. I have a basement instead. It got me thinking about muses. Here are 13 random quotes about them.
1. “The muses are ghosts, and sometimes they come uninvited.”
― Stephen King, Bag of Bones
2. “Inspiration is the windfall from hard work and focus. Muses are too unreliable to keep on the payroll.”
― Helen Hanson
3. “The loveliest Muse in the world does not feed her owner; these girls make fine mistresses but terrible wives”
― Alfred de Vigny, Stello
4. “The absence of a muse can be even more inspirational than its presence”
5. “Following my muse has worked out pretty well so far. I can’t see any reason to change the formula now.”
- Chris Van Allsburg
6. A successful artist is inspired by his muse, and his muse is inspired by the payment of a commission.
- Robert Brault
7. The most astonishing joy is to receive from the muses the gift of a whole lyric.
- James Broughton
8. Those who work only when the Muse strikes them make little progress.
- William V. Dunning
9. No muse shoots darts of insight into the unsuspecting artist.
- Eric Maisel
10. Why does my Muse only speak when she is unhappy? / She does not, I only listen when I am unhappy.
- Stevie Smith
11. I would especially like to re-court the Muse of poetry, who ran off with the mailman four years ago, and drops me only a scribbled postcard from time to time.
- John Updike
12. “If I ever saw my muse she would be an old woman with a tight bun and spectacles poking me in the middle of the back and growling, “Wake up and write the book!”
― Kerry Greenwood
13. “But the fact is, she [the muse] won’t be summoned. She alights when it damn well pleases her. She falls in love with one artist, then deserts him for another. She’s a real btch!”
― Erica Jong